Douglas Shire Council will provide more than $30,000 in funding for five local initiatives in the latest round of its Community Support Program.
Council’s Community Support Program assists not-for-profit organisations develop programs, projects or activities that provide cultural, recreational, environmental, community and economic development opportunities in the Douglas Shire.
The successful projects in Round 2 of the Community Support Program include:
- D.I.R.T (Douglas Integrated Riders and Trailbuilders) ($10,000) – to purchase tools and a lockable trailer to assist volunteers in bike track building at the Port Douglas Sports Complex;
- Mossman Port Douglas Senior Rugby League Club ($9100) – to remove and replace the rugby league scoreboard at Coronation Park in Mossman;
- Port Shorts Inc ($10,000) – to conduct filmmaking workshops with Mossman State High School and the Mossman Youth Centre and stage the Port Shorts Film Festival;
- Coral Coast Judo Club Inc ($2000) – to conduct come and try days, a scholarship program, World Judo Day demonstration and club promotion; and
- Douglas Theatre Arts Group ($1399) – to purchase a large screen projector.
Mayor Julia Leu said Council was thrilled the Community Support Program enabled local organisations to deliver innovative projects.
“Our local not-for-profit groups survive on the selfless contributions of volunteers and I applaud the successful groups for putting forward such worthwhile initiatives,” Mayor Leu said.
“It is important for Council to support these community projects so our local organisations can continue to thrive and make the Douglas Shire a better place to live.”