Do I need to evacuate?

  • An evacuation order for a cyclone is only issued if lives may be at risk from a storm tide surge.  Residents are not evacuated in the Douglas region based on wind-threat.
  • If storm tide surge is not a threat and an evacuation order is not issued, you should stay home, make yourself as secure as possible and listen to the radio for updates.  Your home is often the safest place.
  • Three evacuation zones have been identified – Red, Orange and Yellow – based on the likelihood of flooding from storm tide surge.
  • Check your meter box for a colour-coded sticker (red, orange or yellow) or refer to the Storm Tide Evacuation maps  to identify if you live in one of these zones.  (If you are outside the predicted storm surge risk zones, you will not need to evacuate. However, if you do not feel safe at home you can make pre-arrangements to stay with friends, family or neighbours during the cyclone.)
  • If you are within a red, orange or yellow zone, your property is at risk of storm tide surge during a cyclone. You should prepare to evacuate when Emergency Services issue an evacuation order.
  • Emergency Services will inform you. Listen to your local radio station. Street patrols and door knocking by emergency services may also occur.
  • If an evacuation is called during working hours, access to your street/suburb may be restricted for ingoing traffic.
  • Residents who are unable to help themselves and require evacuation may be able to register with the Council’s Evacuation and Recovery Register by contacting the Council on 4099 9444.

View Evacuation Maps

Where to evacuate?

Family, friends or neighbours:

  • Evacuees should seek pre-arranged temporary shelter with family, friends or neighbours in safer, higher places (outside the evacuation zones). Accommodation providers will advise their guests of arrangements.
  • You should have a household emergency plan which documents these arrangements for any natural disaster. This plan will provide a valuable reference for whatever the emergency.

Places of refuge:

  • Evacuation centres are places of refuge and should only be used if you have nowhere else to go. They are not designed to protect against high winds or windborne debris. Locations will be advised if places of refuge are activated. If you have used one location before, it may not be activated for another disaster.
  • Do not go to any place of refuge unless officially advised it is open.
  • The Disaster Coordination Centre will publicly notify if any places of refuge are open via local ABC and commercial radio stations and on Council’s website and Facebook page.
  • Places of refuge are typically large public buildings such as halls.  They are likely to be crowded, noisy and uncomfortable. There may also be long queues for toilets and there are no kitchen facilities. Evacuees may have to be there for several days. Alcohol, pets and weapons are not allowed.

Avoid driving on the range roads

  • You should not try to leave the region just before, during or immediately after a cyclone event via the Captain Cook Highway or the Mossman-Mount Molloy Road.
  • These range roads are prone to landslips and closures. You may risk your own life and that of others by travelling these routes.
  • Your emergency plan should include the most rapid route to your alternative accommodation. Do not travel more than is absolutely necessary.

Preparing at home

  • Secure all loose items around the property including rubbish bins, garden tools, sports equipment, outdoor furniture etc.
  • Tie down sheds or other small structures not permanently fixed.
  • Garage caravans, boats and vehicles or tie to strong structures.
  • Check your emergency kit for all items.
  • Lift items at risk of water damage from the floor, especially electrical appliances – this is important for flooding situations too. Plastic bags can be tied around computers, televisions, CD players etc.
  • Turn off non-essential power and/or gas.
  • Sandbag areas at risk from flooding where possible.
  • Prepare safe areas for yourself and your pets.
  • Cover windows and doors with timber sheeting or tape across the glass with masking tape and close all doors.
  • Fill drinking containers and bath tubs with water. You can also fill wheelie bins with water to flush toilets if necessary.

Private cyclone shelters

  • Queensland does not have any mandatory requirements for installing private cyclone shelters.  However, if you choose to build a private shelter, it may offer an additional level of safety.
  • It is recommended that a qualified structural engineer be consulted on the options available and you will need the appropriate approvals before proceeding.