PLEASE NOTE – Those filling out a hard copy of the form must lodge or mail their completed form to the Douglas Shire Council office in Mossman only.
Douglas Shire Council offers residents from Cardwell to Cooktown, including the Atherton Tablelands, free travel on the Daintree Ferry from November 1 until the end of February annually with a free “Douglas Card”.
This includes the following Council areas:
- Douglas Shire Council , Mareeba Shire Council, Cairns Regional Council, Yarrabah Aboriginal Shire Council, Tablelands Regional Council, Cook Shire Council, Wujal Wujal Aboriginal Shire Council, Hope Vale Aboriginal Shire Council and Cassowary Coast Regional Council
The card also provides discounts to local attractions including two free adult tickets for the Mossman Gorge shuttle bus.
Use of the Douglas Card is restricted to fare categories Motor Car and Utilities (private use), Pedestrians and Bicycles and Motor Bikes.
To obtain a free Douglas Card, applicants need to provide photographic identification and additional proof of residency with their application to confirm local status at any one of the above local government areas. You can apply online below or download an application form here.
The following terms and conditions of the Douglas Card are:
- Residents of the Douglas Shire Council, Mareeba Shire Council, Cairns Regional Council, Yarrabah Aboriginal Shire Council, Tablelands Regional Council,Cook Shire Council, Wujal Wujal Aboriginal Shire Council, Hope Vale Aboriginal Shire Council and Cassowary Coast Regional Council Local Government Areas are eligible to apply. Proof of identification and residency is required for all applications.
- If you are mailing your application you will need to include:-
- a photocopy of the front and back of your driver’s licence as proof of identity and residency (copy of both sides of licence required),if your licence does not list your residence as being in the above local government areas, you will also need to send
- a photocopy that verifies your local residency of either:- 1) a rates notice, 2) phone or 3) electricity bill.
- Applications via the free reply paid post are to be addressed on a standard envelope as follows: Douglas Shire Council, R eply Paid 86176, Mossman QLD487
- Failure to provide required information deems your application ineligible.
- The Douglas Card will entitle the holder to free travel on the Daintree River Ferry for the following fare categories only: Motor Car & Utilities (private use), Passenger, Bicycle& Pedestrian and Motor Bike.
- This free travel incentive will only be available for the period 1st November to 28/29th February inclusive.
- The card must be presented to the Daintree River Ferry staff prior to or at the time of travel on the ferry.
- Failure to present the card at the time of travel will result in full relevant fare to be paid to travel on the ferry.
In obtaining the card an undertaking is given to participate in any surveys to enable Douglas Shire Council to obtain travel associated data.