Douglas Shire Council has prepared a new Proposed Planning Scheme which was approved by the State Government and Councillors in 2016.
The Proposed Planning Scheme was open for Public Comment between 8 August 2016 and 30 September 2016, in accordance with an adopted Community Engagement Plan prepared for the consultation period.
Council received a total of 615 submissions during, and immediately following the conclusion of the public consultation period.
A variety of issues were raised with the key topical items being:
- The possibility of making additional land available for a retirement facility in Port Douglas;
- The possibility of establishing a Special Entertainment Precinct in the Port Douglas town centre;
- Returning land used for farming operations to a Rural Zone, where proposed for an Environmental Management Zone;
- Requests for a Low-Medium density residential zoning along the southern side of Murphy St in Port Douglas; and
- Adjustments to levels of planning assessment for low-risk, code-complying land uses to simplify planning processes.
Council considered all matters raised in the submissions following completion of the public consultation period.
A Proposed Planning Scheme Submission Review Report summarises comments raised in submissions and provides a response on how Council has dealt with each submission.
The report was presented to Council at its Ordinary Meeting on 26 April 2017.
The changes recommended within the Proposed Planning Scheme Submission Review Report will be compiled into the Proposed Douglas Shire Planning Scheme (Post Submission Review Version – March 2017).
The Post Submission Review Version – March 2017, when compiled for viewing, will be available on Council’s website and our communities notified.
The proposed Post Submission Review Version of the Proposed Planning Scheme will be referred to the State Government’s Minister for Infrastructure and Planning for approval.
Once approved, Council will set a date for the final adoption of the new Planning Scheme.
If you experience any issues downloading the Proposed Planning Scheme Submission Review Report and/or finding your submission response, please contact Council’s planning team on 4099 9444.
A copy of the Proposed Douglas Shire Planning Scheme (open for public comment between 8 August 2016 and 30 September 2016) remains available below.
Schedule 1 – Definitions
Schedule 2 – Maps
Port Douglas & Craiglie
- Port Douglas Craiglie Local Plan Precincts Map
- Port Douglas Sub-Precincts Local Plan Precincts Map
- Port Douglas – Craiglie Townscape Plan Map
Return to Country
Settlement Areas North of the Daintree River
- Acid Sulfate Soils Overlay Maps 1 to 8
Acid Sulfate Soils Overlay Maps 9 to 20
- Bushfire Hazard Overlay Maps 1 to 11
Bushfire Hazard Overlay Maps 12 to 23
- Coastal Processes Overlay Maps 1 to 9
Coastal Processes Overlay Maps 10 to 21
- Dwelling House Character Overlay Maps 1 to 11
- Flood and Storm Tide Inundation Overlay Maps 1 to 11
Flood and Storm Tide Inundation Overlay Maps 12 to 23
- Hillslopes Overlay Maps 1 to 11
Hillslopes Overlay Maps 12 to 23
- Landscape Values Overlay Maps 1 to 11
Landscape Values Overlay Maps 12 to 23
- Natural Areas Overlay Maps 1 to 11
Natural Areas Overlay Maps 12 to 23
- Pedestrian and Cycle Overlay Maps 1 to 8
Pedestrian and Cycle Overlay Maps 9 to 20
- Places of Significance Overlay Maps 1 to 11
- Potential Landslide Hazard Overlay Maps 1 to 8
Potential Landslide Hazard Overlay Maps 9 to 18
- Road Hierarchy Overlay Maps 1 to 8
Road Hierarchy Overlay Maps 9 to 20
- Transport Noise Corridors Overlay Maps 1 to 17
Schedule 3 – Local Government Infrastructure Plan Mapping & Support Material
Schedule 4 – Notations
Schedule 5 – Land Designated for Community Infrastructure
Schedule 6 – Policies