10:00am – 4:00pm
Mowbray Street, Port Douglas
Join us down at the Avenue of the Arts where you will enjoy a collage of art exhibitions, displays and workshops across every style and form of art from traditional to contemporary, performing arts to photography, from novels to children’s stories to poetry and even the artistry of growing orchids. All forms of art and creativity are presented in this daily cornucopia as follows:
- Douglas Photographic Society Exhibition at the Port Douglas Community Centre daily from 23rd to 31st May from10am to 4pm. In addition to the amazing gallery of photographs from around the region, this exhibition will include a display of archive photos to celebrate Carnivals’ 21st birthday.
- Douglas Arts Base (DAB) will be presenting a traditional art exhibition showcasing works of art from their members at The Clink Theatre. Open every day 23rd to 31st May from 10am to 4pm.
- For the first time since their opening, The Mossman Gorge Art Gallery is bringing a special collection of indigenous art and artists to join the Avenue of the Arts everyday displaying a diverse range of their traditional artwork and sculptor.
- The Douglas Orchid Society is hosting a three-day display (26th to 28th May) of flowering orchid plants and tropical flowers at the Port Douglas Community Centre. A long-standing non-profit organisation, this small club gets together once a month and has three great shows each year in Mossman, with this Carnivale being their first in Port Douglas. Plants and flowers will also be available for sale. The club members grow their own plants, and also help propagate rare and endangered orchids endemic to the tropics. They have a number of outings, orchid spotting trips, buying trips and functions every year. Come along and support a small but vital community group. Another first for Carnivale is the chance to meet a great many of the local authors of our region.
- ‘Meet The Authors’: We have invited a whole raft of local authors to make themselves available through the week to welcome visitors to an exclusive marquee with their published works available to enjoy and purchase. Tea, Coffee and cakes will be available. So this will be a wonderful chance to chat with them in a relaxed environment to find out how they succeeded in writing and more importantly how they got their books published. There will also be poetry readings and literary workshops.
The Avenue of the Arts is a new concept for Carnivale 2015 and will attract both locals and visitors to have a unique creative experience inspired by the local residents and the surroundings of the Far North!