Posted On 04 Dec 2014
Did you know that household waste increases by about 25% over Christmas and New Year? Including more food waste, shopping bags, wrapping paper, bows, ribbons, packaging from gifts, disposable tableware and decorations.
There are plenty of small and easy ways to have a simpler, greener, less wasteful but more meaningful Christmas and New Year! Here are a few tips:
- Planet Arks 12 Do’s of Christmas has some great ideas.
- Reduce food waste – only buy/cook as much as you need, freeze left-over’s, give to the compost, worm farm or chooks what you can’t.
- Choose reusable tableware, napkins, tablecloths, and decorations.
- Choose recycled wrapping paper, cards, and other paper products.
- Reuse and recycle what cards, wrapping and ribbons you receive. Last years cards make great gift tags for this year presents.
- Make it or bake it – less packaging and it’s much more personal too.
- Give an ‘experience’ gift rather than a ‘thing’ that may end up in landfill.
- Re-gifting is ok! (Just remember who gave it to you).
- Upcycle – make a unique gift from something you already have.
- Shop for recycled and fair-trade items (e.g. Oxfam, charity shops)
- Buy a gift that gives to someone in need (e.g. Oxfam Unwrapped)