Residents and businesses in the Douglas Shire are being asked to open their hearts and wallets to help local families in need for the 2019 Mayor’s Christmas Appeal.
Douglas Shire Council Mayor Julia Leu hopes to again raise $2,000 to contribute towards Christmas hampers to be distributed throughout the community.
“Through the annual Mayor’s Christmas Appeal we’re able to bring a little bit of relief to those families doing it tough,” she said.
“We have a wonderful community here in the Shire and we’re urging people to give whatever they can to help lighten the burden for a local family this Christmas.”
Council has joined Mossman Support Services, Port Douglas Neighbourhood Centre, Goobidi Home Care Services, Goobidi Bamanga Community Advancement Cooperative Society and Christian Mission Fellowship International to assist and launch the appeal.
Donations of $2 or more are Tax Deductible and forms are available at Council’s website, Mossman Administration Office, Port Douglas Hub and the Mossman Library.
Families with children aged 15 years and under, holding a Federal Government benefit card are eligible to apply for a food hamper from Monday 21 October until Friday 29 November, 2019.
“The Mayor’s Christmas Appeal wouldn’t be possible without the dedicated support of the local community groups that volunteer their time each year to pack and deliver hampers throughout the Shire,” Mayor Leu said.
Where to apply for a Mayor’s Christmas Appeal hamper from Monday 21 October:
• Mossman Support Services 20 Mill St Mossman, Ph: 4098 2005, weekdays 9am to 4pm
• Port Douglas Neighbourhood Centre 6-10 Mowbray St Port Douglas, Ph: 4099 5518, weekdays 9am to 4pm
• Goobidi Home Care Services Shop 3 / 1 Front St Mossman, Ph: 4098 3030, Monday – Thursday 8am – 5pm, Friday 8am – 3pm
• Goobidi Bamanga CACS 57 Front St Mossman, Ph: 4098 1283, Monday – Thursday 8am-12pm / 1pm-5pm, Friday 8am – 3pm
• Douglas Shire Council 64-66 Front St Mossman,13-29 Mowbray St Port Douglas (The Hub), Ph: 4099 9444, weekdays 9am to 4pm