Douglas Shire residents and community groups are encouraged to nominate a dedicated citizen deserving of recognition for the 2020 Australia Day Awards, which launches today.
Nominations are now open for the seven award categories celebrating those locals who go above and beyond for the community.
Mayor Julia Leu said the awards are a fantastic opportunity to recognise residents who are dedicated to making a difference in the Douglas Shire.
“The Australia Day Awards put a spotlight on those quiet achievers amongst us and allow the community to celebrate their successes,” she said.
“Award categories include the highly-regarded Citizen of the Year but they also allow us to capture and recognise people from the arts community or groups making significant and lasting contributions to the environment.”
The seven award categories for 2020 are:
- Citizen of the Year recognises outstanding members of the community for their personal endeavours, achievements and community involvement;
- Young Citizen of the Year recognises young citizens aged 25 years or under (on 26 January 2019) for their personal endeavours, achievements and community involvement; and
- Volunteer of the Year recognises members of the community of any age making significant and lasting contributions to the social, recreational, environmental and economic quality of life in the community through their endeavours on behalf of individuals, organisations, charities, service groups, clubs, churches, sporting groups, health or youth.
- Arts and Cultural Award recognises members of the community of any age making significant and lasting contributions to arts and culture in the community.
- Environmental Achievement Award recognises members of the community of any age making significant and lasting contributions to the environment.
- Senior Sports Award recognises sports people for their personal endeavours and achievements in their sporting code.
- Junior Sports Award (Aged 18 years or under at 26 January 2019) recognises young sports people for their personal endeavours and achievements in their sporting code.
“Last year’s awards produced an inspiring group of winners and nominees and we’re really excited to open up the nominations for 2020,” she said.
To be eligible to be nominated for a Douglas Shire Council Australia Day Award, nominees must not have been a previous recipient of an Australia Day Award in the same category, cannot be an elected representative (eg MP, Councillor or a recipient of Australia and Imperial Honours) and must be Australian citizens living in the Douglas Shire Council local government area.
Nominations close Friday 22 November, 2019 so spread the message and make sure someone doing great things in the Douglas Shire gets the credit they deserve.
Nomination forms are available from Council’s Administration Office, Port Douglas Community Hub or available to download here.
CITIZENSHIP CEREMONY BEFORE AWARDS:
Preceding the Australia Day awards will be a citizenship ceremony where Council will again welcome new residents to the Douglas Shire.
A Free BBQ breakfast will be provided by the Port Douglas Neighbourhood centre.