Posted On 11 Apr 2014
- For the most up to date information relating to SEVERE TOPICAL CYCLONE ITA
- If you are in a Storm Surge Zone have an evacuation plan. Consider staying with family or friend who are outside a Storm Surge Zone. Check your power box to see if your are in a Storm Surge Zone.
- Ensure your Emergency Kit is ready.
- Identify a safety room or area in your house if the winds become destructive. This can be a bathroom or a small room in the center of your house.
- Fill water containers.
- Ensure you have medications.
- DO NOT venture outside once the wind speeds are in excess of 80km/h – if you see debris in the air STAY INDOORS and stay away from windows.
- If you have solar electricity isolate your system from the mains power and turn off.
- Treat all downed power lines as LIVE until you are officially told otherwise.
- Secure your rubbish and recycle bins.
- Ensure all loose items in your yard are put away or securely tied down.
- Charge your mobile phones, Ipads, tablets and laptops.
- Turn off any non-essential appliances at the wall and remove from the power socket
- Check for updates on the Council Face Book Page