The historic Port Douglas Sugar Wharf is getting a facelift.
The Sugar Wharf is a Heritage-listed building which forms part of the local identity of the Port Douglas community.
It was built in 1904 as a sugar storage and loading facility and has seen many changes over the years, later being transformed into a museum and now utilised as a community hall, particularly for weddings and corporate events.
Approval has been given by the Department of Environment and Heritage Protection to carry out repairs to any minor timber work damage and apply a fresh coat of paint to the outside of the Sugar Wharf.
The painting has proved a challenge as scaffolding on the water side of the building was done to allow for the painting of this area and be able to install and remove it for events during the weekend.
Most of the painting work should be completed by June 7, with the remaining scaffolding to be removed early the following week.