Resupply assistance 

To register, call Disaster Management Australia on 1800 362 000 and select option 7. 

Grants extended

Emergency Hardship Assistance (EHA) and Essential Services Hardship Assistance (ESHA) grants extended until 7 February 2024.

More information here.

Waste Collection 

Kerbside disaster waste collections have now been completed for all parts of Douglas Shire except for properties north of Thornton’s Beach.

Further information will be provided to those residents in due course.

Disaster Recovery Resupply

Residents and businesses in nominated rural communities in Far North Queensland can apply for support with resupply in response to Tropical Cyclone Jasper, in line with the Queensland resupply manual. Johns Lyng Disaster Management Australia (DMA) will support resupply efforts in the affected communities.

To register, call DMA on 1800 362 000 and select option 7. 

Download the factsheets below for more information.

Community Recovery Hubs

Residents can visit a Community Recovery Pop-up Hub to talk to a Community Recovery Worker and a Lifeline Mental Health Support Worker. The Team can provide mental health support, assist with grant application updates, and offer referrals to other community organisations and government agencies.

Cape Tribulation Community Recovery Hub

Masons Cafe – 3781 Cape Tribulation Rd, Cape Tribulation QLD 4873


  • Thursday 15th February 10am to 4pm
  • Wednesday 21 February 10am to 4pm
  • Wednesday 28 February 10am to 3pm

Diwan Community Recovery Hub

Daintree Fan Palm Farm, 1882 Cape Tribulation Road, Diwan


  • Tuesday 20 February  10:00am – 4:00pm
  • Tuesday 27 February 10am to 3pm

If you can’t visit the hub, there are other ways to get help:

  • Visit to check your eligibility, find out what documents you need, and apply online
  • Phone the Community Recovery Hotline on 1800 173 349

Cape Tribulation Community Drop-In Session

Community members are invited to attend a meeting with the Mayor, Councillors, CEO and relevant officers from Douglas Shire Council, to get an update on Cape Tribulation Road (Alexandra Range and Noah’s Range), Rykers Bridge, Bloomfield Track, Noah Creek Bridge, and other works. 

 Council has invited TPDD, TTNQ and other State Government agency representatives to attend.

The Drop -in session will be held at Cape Tribulation Camping on Friday 16 February from 12 noon through to 2:30pm. 

Rates assistance

Council’s rates team is here to support ratepayers who’ve been financially impacted by the Cyclone Jasper flood disaster.
Please reach out to the team on (07) 4099 9444 if you’re having difficulty paying your rates, water or need to set up/amend your current Arrangement to Pay.
Apply for financial assistance under the Rates Financial Hardship Policy
Application forms can be found under the rates section.

Who to contact

  • Community Recovery Hotline 1800 173 349
  • SES, flood or storm damage, 13 25 00
  • Ergon, powerlines down 13 16 70; outages 13 22 96 or Ergon outages online
  • Telstra, 13 22 03
  • Queensland Health,13 Health (13 43 25 84)
  • Road and traffic conditions, Transport and Main Roads, 13 19 40 or QLD Traffic website 
  • Red Cross, 1800 733 111
  • Douglas Shire Council services, including water supply and animals, (07) 4099 9444

Emergency relief and psychological support

  • Lifeline crisis support: 13 11 14
  • Australian Red Cross: 1800 733 111
  • 13 Yarn: 13 92 76

Children and youth services

  • Kids Helpline: 1800 55 1800
  • Act of Kids: 133 264

Other support services

  • Mossman Support Services: 4098 2836
  • Port Douglas Neighbourhood Centre: 4099 5518
  • NDIS Customer Service: 1800 800 110

Housing and temporary accommodation

If you need help finding temporary accommodation:

  • Call the Community Recovery Hotline 1800 173 349
  • Call 13 GOV (13 74 68)


If you would like to make a donation of money or goods, contact GIVIT through their website:

Clean up assistance

The SES is conducting ‘wash outs’ for homes that have been inundated with water.

The SES will use high-pressure hoses to clear mud and debris from homes.

Residents must request a ‘wash out’ service from the SES by calling 13 25 00.

Residents should remove furnishings, appliances, including fridges and freezers, and personal items from any area that needs to hosed out. Items left in homes can be damaged by high pressure water.

Financial services

  • Centacare FNQ: 4044 0130
  • Rural Financial Counselling Service NQ: 4652 5669

Financial assistance

Queensland Government

The Queensland Government has made financial assistance available to residents in the Cairns Local Government Area. For all details, to check your eligibility, or to apply;

Personal Hardship Assistance Grant

Helps with essential needs, food, medication, clothing and temporary accommodation.

  • Eligibility: experiencing personal hardship and can’t meet immediate essential needs
  • Amount: $180 for individuals; $900 for families of 5 or more
Essential Services Hardship Assistance

Helps with essential services such as power, gas, water and sewerage.

  • Eligibility: lost one or more essential services for more than 5 days and are experiencing personal hardship as a result
  • Amount: $150 for individuals; up to $750 for families of 5 or more
Essential Household Contents grant

To replace essential lost household contents, such as bed linen and white goods.

  • Amount: $1765 for individuals; up to $5300 for couples or families

Australian Government

Australian Government Disaster Recovery Payment and Disaster Recovery Allowance

Australian Government Disaster Recovery Payment (AGDRP) and Disaster Recovery Allowance (DRA) are available.

  • The AGDRP is a one-off payment of $1000 per eligible adult and $400 per eligible child who have suffered a significant loss as a result of the floods, including a severely damaged or destroyed home or a serious injury.
  • The DRA provides up to 13 weeks of federal income support to assist eligible employees or sole traders who experience a loss of income as a direct result of a major disaster.

The easiest way for people to claim is online through myGov.

For help with claiming, phone the Australian Government Emergency information line on 180 22 66. To speak to someone in their language, call the Centrelink multilingual phone service on 131 202.

Primary producers, small business and not-for-profits

Financial assistance from the Queensland Government includes:

Complete the natural disaster business survey to advise what assistance you may need.

You can also find resources at the Douglas Shire Council Grants Guru page.