Council is responsible for regulating certain public health risks.

A public health risk is something that is likely to be harmful to human health or contribute to disease in humans, including rats, mice and mosquitoes.

This may also include things like waste, water, dead or living animals and harmful substances in the environment.

Potable Water Requirements

Licensed Food Businesses and Registered Accommodation Premises

If you are not connected to a reticulated water supply and utilise an alternative source such as rain water, creek, bore water, you may be obligated to manage your water supply to ensure it is safe and potable.

For further information on the potable water requirements please contact Environmental Health on (07) 4099 9444.

Private Water Supply Factsheet

Abandoned Vehicles

Any suspected unregistered or abandoned vehicle parked on the side of a Council-controlled road or within Council land may be issued with a Notice under the Transportation Operations (Road Use Management) Act (1995).

The notice generally gives the vehicle’s owner 48 hours to move the vehicle. Where a vehicle is deemed to be in a hazardous location, Council may remove it immediately. If the vehicle is not moved, it will be impounded and subsequently offered for sale by auction unless claimed within a specified time frame.

To collect an impounded vehicle, the owner must provide sufficient proof of ownership and proof of identity, and pay all costs incurred in the removal and storage of the vehicle. Owners must make an appointment with Council’s Pound Officer to arrange release of the vehicle.


Council manages asbestos related matters for private residences only (i.e. – home renovators).

Asbestos-related matters in workplaces or incidents occurring with licenced contractors are the responsibility of the Department of Workplace Health and Safety.

Read more about Asbestos here

Vector & Vermin Control

The Public Health Act 2005 specifies prescribed pest species, which are capable of carrying and transmitting diseases to humans.

Read more here

Overgrown Allotments (Vacant Lands)

A property can be considered overgrown if the vegetation can afford shelter or attraction for vermin or is generally unsightly.

When Council receives a complaint about overgrown vacant land or neglected dwellings, a Local Laws Compliance Officer will inspect the property and if necessary, make arrangements for the property to be cleared.

Council must give due notice to the land’s owner to remedy the breach. If no action has been taken before this time elapses, Council will issue an Enter and Clear Notice to its subcontractors to appropriately treat the overgrown property. These costs are added to the owner’s rates notice for payment.