In accordance with the Environmental Protection Act 1994 prescribed water contaminants such as earth (sand, soil, silt or mud) must not contaminate waters, roadside gutters, stormwater drainage or be reasonably expected to move to waters, roadside gutters, or stormwater drainage.
- Soil erosion from building sites and subdivisions is a major source of pollution to our stormwater and waterways.
- Water polluted with sediment entering our roadside gutters and stormwater drains flows straight into our creeks, rivers and ocean having detrimental effects on the environment. (Sediment includes sand, soil, silt or mud).
- Builders and property owners have a legal responsibility to prevent or minimise the release of prescribed contaminants into waters.
- Failing to effectively manage run-off from building sites may result in enforcement action from Council.
- For more information please visit Far North Queensland Regional Organisation of Councils (FNQROC) website.
For more information please visit Far North Queensland Regional Organisation of Councils (FNQROC) website.