Visit the Bureau of Meteorology website for extensive detailed information relating to cyclones, including:
- An overview of how tropical cyclones form, where they occur, what characteristics they have and the impacts experienced;
- Summary of the types of warnings that are issued by the Bureau, when and where they are issued and samples of the individual warnings.
- Preparations for a cyclone;
- Guides and checklists for cyclone safety and preparedness;
- Storm Surge;
- Marine Weather Services; and
- Forecast Rainfall
The Maritime Safety Queensland website has contingency plans to ensure stronger resilience from the maritime community. Timely awareness and adequate preparation will reduce the impact of such events. This extreme weather event contingency plan for Port Douglas sets out the particular arrangements for this region. For more information see the Extreme Weather Event Contingency Plan: Port Douglas.