Council offers a variety of payment options for rates and water billing, Please refer to our payment option screen here for further information.
Online Credit Card payments
Payments can be made online through SecurePay using MasterCard or Visa Card. To make these payments click HERE and follow the prompts.
Contact your bank or financial institution to make this payment from your cheque, savings, debit or transaction account. More info: www.bpay.com.au (credit card facilities are not available).
For BPay payments please quote Douglas Shire Council’s Biller Code number:
- 140202 for Rates
- 140400 for Water
- Your reference number (Property Assessment number) from the letter or notice.
Australia Post and PostBillpay
Payments can be made at any Australia Post office, over the phone or online using MasterCard or Visa Card.
- Phone: For Callers within Australia, dial 13 18 16. For overseas callers, dial your Country’s International Access Code +61 13 18 16. This is a 24 hours service. Within Australia, – local call costs apply with higher rates from mobile and public phones, International calls – are charged at the applicable rates.
- Online: Payments online can be made at www.postbillpay.com.au.
For Postbillpay payments please quote Douglas Shire Council’s Biller Code number –
- 4074 for Rates
- 4075 for Water
- Your reference number (Property Assessment number) from the letter or rate notice.
Direct Debits can be arranged to pay your rates or water weekly, fortnightly or monthly, from your savings or cheque account. Please phone Council on (07) 4099 9444 to arrange.
Please note if you already have a direct debit in place for payment of notices in full, the due amount will be withdrawn from your nominated account on the due date. Please ensure sufficient funds are available.
To download a direct debit amendment form click HERE
Under the Federal Act, Council is required to accept all Centrepay deductions from Centrelink.
Centrepay is a free direct bill-paying service offered to customers receiving payments from Centrelink.
Through Centrepay you can choose to pay bills by having a regular amount deducted from your Centrelink payment.
You will need to download the Centrepay form from the Department of Human Services website and lodge it with Centrepay for processing. All necessary information is on the form.
Council’s Centrepay Reference Number (CRN) is: 555 054 227V.
The Account Number is the Property Assessment of your property. You should locate this number on the rate notice.
Payment by Mail
Remove the bottom section of your rates notice and mail with your cheque or money order to:
Douglas Shire Council
PO Box 723
Mossman QLD 4873
Cheques must be made payable to Douglas Shire Council and marked ‘Not Negotiable.’ Acceptance of a cheque is subject to collection of the proceeds. Post dated cheques will not be accepted.
You can make payment in person at:
- Council’s Admin Office – 64-66 Front Street, Mossman QLD 4873. Using cash, cheque, EFTPOS, Visa, MasterCard or money order
- Port Douglas Community Hub – Port Douglas Community Hall, Mowbray Street Port Douglas QLD 4877. Using Cheque or card only – no cash
Change will not be given on cheques or money order.
Receive Your Notices Online
Ratepayers are now able to fully manage their Douglas Shire Council rates and water usage notices with the click of a mouse button with the introduction of BPAY View® for delivery of notices.
BPAY View allows you to receive, view, store and pay your rates notices online through the safety and security of your online banking provider. For more information click HERE.
Council understands that sometimes it is difficult to pay your rates on time due to current financial situations.
If you are experiencing difficulties in paying your Rates account by the due date, you may be eligible to enter into an Arrangement to Pay with Council.
Please call the Customer Service officers on (07) 4099 9444 before the due date to organise a payment arrangement.
Acceptance of Arrangement to Pay is subject to the following conditions:
- That the debt will be cleared within the half-year period of issue, being December 31 or June 30; and
- That the debt is not currently being managed by Council’s debt collection agency.
- Arrangements to pay are automatically cancelled as at 30 June and 31 December each year. New arrangements to pay will need to be entered into each rate notice issue.
Compounding interest of 11 per cent per annum will accrue until all outstanding amounts are paid in full. Council encourages rate payers to contact Council prior to the due date if they are unable to make a payment.
Only full payment or a suitable written payment commitment will stop further legal proceedings (except sale of land).
These legal proceedings can incur costs and Council can claim these costs back from the ratepayer. This process is governed by Chapter 4, Part 12, Division 1, Section 132 of the Local Government Regulation 2012.