Council investigates complaints about light that is emitted from luminous advertising signs and private property such as flood lights or sensor lights.
Ways you can reduce light emissions include:
- consider the location of light installation;
- investigate appropriate barriers or lamps;
- use low voltage bulbs; and
- install a timer for outdoor lighting requirements.
When investigating an odour complaint, Council considers the:
- amount of odour being emitted;
- duration and rate of emission and the odours characteristics and qualities;
- sensitivity of the environment into which the odour is being emitted and the potential impact; and
- the view of other neighbours or complainants.
Ways you can reduce odour emissions include:
- keep your property tidy and don’t allow vegetation or rubbish to accumulate;
- consider weather conditions before starting work that will create odour, for example when using fertiliser; and
- enclose or cover compost bins and piles of vegetation.