Following is a guideline of general procedures and restrictions that apply to any person or organisation holding a special event at a Douglas Shire Council Venue. You can find a full list of Council venues available for hire, here.

  • Procedure/processing time for applications – Written applications are to be submitted a minimum of two weeks prior to the event.
  • Fee structure – Fees may be charged and are dependent on the event.
  • Hours of operation for holding a special event – Dependent on venue and function.
  • Bond/deposit required – Is usually required but is dependent on the event (e.g. potential ground damage)
  • Insurance requirements – For incorporated bodies, sporting clubs or associations, Public Liability cover of $20 million is required, with Douglas Shire Council to be noted on policy as an interested party. For casual users, Douglas Shire Council has in place a liability insurance cover with a $2,000 policy deductible (excess per claim) and limit of indemnity of $10 million for casual users at no cost to the casual user. A casual hirer is defined to be an individual or a group who enters into an agreement for use of a Council facility, where that individual or group:
    • is non-commercial;
    • is not incorporated;
    • is not involved in high risk sports; and
    • hires a Council facility no more that 12 days per year.
  • Capacity limitations – Dependent on venue and function.
  • Hours for set-up and clean-up – To be negotiated with Council upon application.
  • Vehicle access – Prior permission required for vehicles to drive onsite.  Number of vehicles to be included in application.
  • Parking facilities – Variable.
  • Erection of structure – Only temporary structures permitted with details to be submitted to Council.
  • Alcohol consumption – Alcohol may be consumed at venues but this is subject to State licensing requirements.
  • Special effects (e.g. fireworks, lasers) – Special effects are permitted subject to appropriate approvals (Contact Local Laws department on 4099 9444).
  • Access to power and water – Available (cost for use charged to the hirer).
  • Access to existing amenities – Access to existing amenities is variable and needs to be confirmed with Council.
  • Amplified music – Will be considered as part of the application for approval process.
  • Noise levels – Not to exceed State requirements. Contact Council’s Development and Environment department on 4099 9444.
  • Food requirements – Contact Council’s Development and Environment department on 4099 9444.
  • Waste management and clean-up requirements – to be arranged by event organiser. Contact waste contractors.
  • Additional comments/requirements: for bookings please contact Council on 4099 9444.

Phone (07) 4099 9444 or email