From 11 to 29 November, 2019, Council is urging ratepayers and residents of the Douglas region to ‘Know Your Risk’.
Before the cyclone season, you should make every effort to prepare yourself and your family (including pets) by having your emergency kit stocked and ready to go.
Store your valuable documents on a Get Ready Douglas Wallet-card USB and ensure you have enough supplies for all members of your family to survive for at least three (3) days.
For tips on what to include in an emergency kit, refer to the Emergency Kit Checklist.
Council provides Get Ready Douglas Wallet-card USBs.
Collect your Get Ready Douglas Wallet-card USB at the Mossman Community Centre or Port Douglas Neighbourhood Centre. Take your valuable documents with you for scanning and keep the USB with you during a disaster event. Coin donations welcomed for the centre’s Emergency Relief Funds.
Visit the Mossman Community Centre:
- Tuesday: 10:00 – 12:00
- Thursday: 10:00 – 12:00
Or the Port Douglas Neighbourhood Centre:
- Wednesday: 10:00 – 12:00
- Thursday: 13:00 – 15:00
Important documents to bring along for scanning:
- Insurance papers for household contents, vehicles and valuable items
- Inventory of valuable household goods
- Will and/or life insurance documents
- House deeds or mortgage documents
- Birth and marriage certificates
- Passports and visa details
- Stocks and bonds
- Medicare, pension cards and immunization records
- Bank account and credit card details
- Back-up copies of important computer files and passwords
- Pet details: registration, microchip number and photos
- Household emergency plan with emergency contact numbers
Now is also a great time for residents to ascertain what their storm tide risk is.
Check the inside of your meter/power box cover for your storm surge sticker in red, orange or yellow or visit the Douglas Community Dashboard.
Storm tide stickers are available for collection from the Douglas Shire Council Admin Building, 64 – 66 Front Street in Mossman – Ask for Georgia or Jamie.