Council provides a number of accessible, multi-purpose community centres to help meet the diverse needs of our residents and visitors as well as public access areas such as parks, reserves and foreshore which are available to book for special events.
For all bookings and general enquiries please contact Council’s Front Line Services on (07) 4099 9444, and Download relevant forms found in Facilities, Sport & Recreation folder.
Applications should be lodged a minimum of 10 days prior to the proposed event. Applications received at shorter notice than this cannot be guaranteed to be processed in time.
Mossman Shire Hall
Heritage-listed Mossman Shire Hall was built in 1936. Featuring a stage and wooden floor, this historic hall has been a venue for wedding receptions, concerts, dance classes and other public and private functions over the years. The hall has become an icon of the town and was placed on the Queensland Heritage Register in 2010. For more information please down load the Mossman Shire Hall Information Pack. The hall is located at 4-14 Mill Street, Mossman.
Port Douglas Community Hall
Port Douglas Community Hall is a spacious, modern facility offering individuals, community organisations and businesses an accessible and affordable venue for functions in rooms of various sizes and designs. Recreation, community, arts, cultural and private groups host dance, yoga, art classes, concerts, wedding receptions and parties. The hall is located on the corner of Mowbray and Mudlo Streets Port , in close proximity to picturesque beaches, parks and wedding chapels. For more information please download the Port Douglas Community Hall Information Pack.
Port Douglas Sugar Wharf
The Sugar Wharf is located on the waterfront of Port‘s Dickson Inlet overlooking the Coral Sea and Daintree Mountains. This historic old building was home to Ben Cropp and his “Shipwreck Museum” for many years but is now open to the public as a wonderful waterfront venue. Outdoors on the deck is a stunning location for both your ceremony and reception. It’s tucked away behind the St Mary’s by the Sea, a popular wedding chapel in Port Douglas with it’s own little beach and cove making it the perfect spot for your casual photos of your guests enjoying canapes and a cocktail while watching the sun set. For more information please download Port Douglas Sugar Wharf Information Pack.
The Mossman Showgrounds is located in Jack Street, Mossman. The Showground also may be hired out for use by sporting clubs, fairs/festivals, rodeos etc. The hiring charge for this venue is also calculated on a ‘per facility used’ basis
Port Douglas Sports Complex
The Port Douglas Sports Complex is located on Wharf Street, Port Douglas. This Sports Complex may be hired out for use by sporting clubs, fairs/festivals etc. The hiring charge for this venue is calculated on a ‘per facility used’ basis.
The long awaited Daintree Hall was built by Arthur Zillfleisch & Co. in December 1956. The historic hall has been a venue for wedding receptions, concerts and other public and private functions over the years. The hall is located at Osborne Street, Daintree Village.
Guidelines for holding special events
Following is a guideline of general procedures and restrictions that apply. If you have any queries regarding the following information, please contact Council.
- Procedure/processing time for applications – written applications are to be submitted a minimum of two weeks prior to the event.
- Fee structure – Fees may be charged and are dependent on the event.
- Hours of operation for holding a special event – dependent on venue and function.
- Bond/deposit required – is usually required but is dependent on the event (e.g. potential ground damage)
- Insurance requirements – Yes – Public Liability cover: $20,000,000 with Douglas Shire Council to be noted on policy as an interested party.
- Capacity limitations – dependent on venue and function.
- Hours for set-up and clean-up – To be negotiated with Council upon application.
- Vehicle access – Prior permission required for vehicles to drive onsite. Number of vehicles to be included in application.
- Parking facilities – variable.
- Erection of structure – only temporary structures permitted with details to be submitted to Council.
- Alcohol consumption – alcohol may be consumed at venues but this is subject to State licensing requirements.
- Special effects (e.g. fireworks, lasers) – Special effects are permitted subject to appropriate approvals (Contact Local Laws department on 4099 9444).
- Access to power and water – available (cost for use charged to the hirer).
- Access to existing amenities – access to existing amenities is variable and needs to be confirmed with Council.
- Amplified music – will be considered as part of the application for approval process.
- Noise levels – not to exceed State requirements. Contact Council’s Development and Environment department on 4099 9444.
- Food requirements – Contact Council’s Development and Environment department on 4099 9444.
- Waste management and clean-up requirements – to be arranged by event organiser. Contact waste contractors.
- Additional comments/requirements: for bookings please contact Council on 4099 9444.