Animal Complaints

Animals can be an important part of your family, however sometimes they can create a nuisance in the neighbourhood. Council receives numerous animal related complaints each year, and many can be avoided through responsible pet ownership.

Dog Attacks

Dog attacks are a real problem in the community. If you or your animal/s have been attacked by a dog ring the Council immediately. The sooner we know about an incident the sooner we can secure the dog, if it is still out roaming and gather evidence for a thorough investigation.

 A dog can be declared dangerous under the Animal Management (Cats and Dogs) Act 2008

(2) A dangerous dog declaration may be made for a dog only if the dog –

(a) has seriously attacked, or acted in a way that caused fear to, a person or another animal; or

(b) may, in the opinion of an authorised person having regard to the way the dog has behaved towards a person or another animal, seriously attack, or act in a way that causes fear to, the person or animal.

If a dog attack occurs please contact Council’s customer service team as soon as possible on 4099 9444.

Excessive noise from an animal (barking etc)

Do you have issues with barking dogs?

All dogs bark. However barking dog/s can become a real nuisance, reduce the quality of life for neighbours and can increase neighbourhood tension. It must be understood that dogs are allowed to bark, it is a natural action and occurs for a number of reasons. Examples below are common reasons for dogs to bark and if only occasionally and limited duration will not be considered to be a nuisance in terms of the local laws.

  • Responding to territorial threats – other dogs passing, cats, intruders, strangers approaching boundary such as leaflet distributors, persons walking past the property etc.
  • The postman deliveries – the postman and his motorbike brings out the worst in some dogs
  • An isolated incidence of barking that has occurred as a result of some environmental stimulus – Itinerants in the area, work gangs (roadwork’s) working nearby, neighbourhood party.

Do not shout at or chase the dog in an attempt to stop it barking as this may encourage the dog to bark more.

Council prefers that you speak with your neighbour or keeper of the animal to make them aware of any issues. Your neighbour may not be aware their dog is causing a nuisance and a polite conversation or letter to your neighbour (provided below) to let them know, may help solve problems you have. Should your approach be unsuccessful, then please contact Council on 4099 9444.

Letter to Neighbour

Dear Neighbour barking dog template (205.9 KiB)

Information sheet on barking dogs (useful information for dog owners)

Dog Barking - Responsible Person Fact Sheet (708.0 KiB)

Wandering Dog or Cat

  • If you have an issue with a wandering dog, you can call council to collect the dog. If you can contain or tether the dog safely this is preferred, as it ensures the dog doesn’t get hurt in the meantime and ensures there is a dog to collect once an Officer arrives.
  • If you have an issue with a wandering cat and you know where the cat lives council prefers you speak with the owner to make them aware of the issue. If you believe the cat to be abandoned or the cat continues to be a nuisance please contact Council.
  • Council has cat and dog traps available for hire (no cost) to catch nuisance animals.

Excess Animals Kept on Premises eg: Cats, Dogs and Poultry

Schedule 2 – Prohibition on keeping animals

Schedule 3 – Requirement for approval to keep animal

Schedule 2 And 3 Keeping Of Animals (1.0 MiB)

If you think someone is keeping more animals than they should, please contact Council.

Deceased Animals

If you encounter a deceased animal in any of these locations, the responsibility of safely disposing of the remains belongs to:

Public places, roadways, drains, creeks, above high water mark – contact Council on 4099 9444. You will need to provide them with the exact location of the deceased animal.

Below the high water mark – Please contact the Queensland Government.

Private property – for deceased animals on private property the landowner is responsible.

Animal Welfare

If you see or have any concerns about the treatment of any animal, the responsible agencies are RSPCA and Biosecurity Queensland – [Department of Agriculture, Fisheries & Forestry – DAFF]. Biosecurity Queensland generally handles matters involving commercial activities – call 13 25 23 and the RSPCA handles matters involving companion animals – call 1300 852 188.