The nomination period for the 2021 Douglas Shire Australia Day Awards has been extended until next Friday.
Douglas Shire Council is calling on the community to recognise the region’s unsung heroes of 2020 by nominating them for an award.
An online nomination form (see below) will remain open at Council’s website until December 11 after a small number of nominations were received during the initial call out period.
Douglas Shire residents and community groups are encouraged to nominate those quiet achievers who have gone above and beyond for the community in 2020.
They could be sporting stars, local artists, volunteers, environmental leaders or high achievers.
Douglas Shire Mayor Michael Kerr said the region was full of amazing talent and selfless people who deserved to be celebrated.
“We have so many talented people and fantastic volunteers who have done some great work in 2020,” he said.
“Unfortunately, we haven’t received many nominations, so we have decided to extend the nomination period for another few days.
“Please take the time to complete an online application form, download a hard copy to fill out or speak to Council staff who may be able to help you nominate one of our unsung heroes.
“It is really important we take the time to celebrate our fellow community members who have made a real difference, whether it is on the sporting field, in our arts community or someone who has made a dedicated fundraising effort.”
The seven award categories for 2021 are:
- Citizen of the Year – recognises outstanding members of the community for their personal endeavours, achievements and community involvement;
- Young Citizen of the Year – recognises young citizens aged 25 years or under (on 26 January 2020) for their personal endeavours, achievements and community involvement;
- Volunteer of the Year – recognises members of the community of any age making significant and lasting contributions to the social, recreational, environmental and economic quality of life in the community through their endeavours on behalf of individuals, organisations, charities, service groups, clubs, churches, sporting groups, health or youth.
- Arts and Cultural Award – recognises members of the community of any age making significant and lasting contributions to arts and culture in the community.
- Environmental Achievement Award – recognises members of the community of any age making significant and lasting contributions to the environment.
- Senior Sports Award – recognises sports people for their personal endeavours and achievements in their sporting code.
- Junior Sports Award – (Aged 18 years or under at 26 January 2020) recognises young sports people for their personal endeavours and achievements in their sporting code.
To be eligible to be nominated for a Douglas Shire Council Australia Day Award, nominees must not have been a previous recipient of an Australia Day Award in the same category, cannot be an elected representative (eg MP, Councillor or a recipient of Australia and Imperial Honours) and must be Australian citizens living in the Douglas Shire Council local government area.