DOUGLAS Shire Council Mayor Julia Leu is confident she has ear of the new Member for Cook after a meeting in Mossman yesterday.
Securing a purpose-built health clinic north of the Daintree River, funding for a domestic and family violence refuge in Mossman and removing wrecks from Dickson Inlet are issues that topped a region-boosting agenda.
Mayor Julia Leu said Cynthia Lui would be a fantastic representative for the Cook electorate.
“Cynthia has made a truly remarkable journey into state politics and is someone I admire,” she said.
“I am confident the interests of Douglas Shire residents and business owners will be at the forefront of Ms Lui’s mind.
“I look forward to working closely with our new local member to fight for projects that inject jobs and money into our beautiful shire.”
Ms Lui attended a meeting with senior Council staff and Councillors at Council Chambers yesterday.
MEETING AGENDA ITEMS:
1. Domestic and family violence refuge in Douglas Shire
2. Purpose-built health clinic north of the Daintree River
3. Pedestrian school crossing and Traffic Supervisors, Port Douglas Road
4. Miallo school car park
5. Dredging of Newell Beach boat ramp
6. Removal of wrecks in Dickson Inlet
7. Wangetti Trail Cycling Track
8. Animal shelter for Paws and Claws
9. Protection of the Great Barrier Reef
10. Continuation of the early literacy program – First5 Forever Program –
at the public libraries
11. Coast Guard operations in Port Douglas
12. Bloomfield Track