- A permit is required to breed a cat or a dog. Permits cost $282.35 and can be obtained by contacting Council for an application form. Allowing your cat or dog to breed without a permit can result in a fine of $589.00.
- In Queensland, it is a requirement when supplying or giving away a cat or dog to another person that the animal be microchipped. A fine of $235.60 can be issued by Council when a cat or dog is supplied without a micro-chip implanted into the animal.
- If you become the owner of a cat or dog and it has not been implanted with a microchip, you still need to ensure, within 14 days of becoming the owner, that the animal is implanted with a microchip.
- In Queensland, a person who becomes an owner of a dog must register the dog in the relevant local government’s area within 14 days of becoming the owner. Micro-chipping your dog is NOT registration. Failure to register your dog can result in a fine of $235.60.
- Under Douglas Shire Council’s Local Laws, it is prohibited to keep more than one cat or dog north of the Kimberley Range for allotments located in a Conservation Planning Area.
- Should you require further information, or wish to report concerns or breaches relating to the keeping of animals in Douglas Shire, please call Council of 4099 9444.
- Council is now adopting a zero tolerance approach to unregistered cat and dog breeders and will be issuing fines for non-compliance in the first instance. Local Laws Officers will continue to monitor social media sites and follow up compliance with any suspected unregistered cat or dog breeders.
Application for Dog Registration
Use this form to register your dog, or change registration details. All dogs aged 12 weeks and over must be registered with Council. Registration is free for dogs aged under six months. Registering your pet helps Council reunite your pet if it is impounded, or to notify you in case of an accident. Discounted registration is offered for desexed dogs. Payment of applicable fees must be received by Council before new registrations will be processed.
Application to Keep Excess Animals
Use this form to provide details on excess animals.
Change of Dog Ownership
Use this form to inform Council of change of dog ownership.