A REPRIEVE is in sight for Douglas Shire residents battling overgrown backyards, rogue palm fronds and out-of-control weeds after a wet season drenching.
Douglas Shire Council will give residents the opportunity to drop off their green waste for free at Council’s Transfer Stations from Saturday 30th March – Sunday 7th April 2019.
The special offer gives gardening gurus a blooming incentive to kick-start their 2019 Douglas Garden Awards preparation this week.
Mayor Julia Leu said the free disposal was a fantastic reason to clean up your yard.
“We know how hard it can be to stay in control of your gardens and backyards during a wet season like the one we have had,” she said.
“Hopefully, this free green waste disposal can not only encourage residents to clean up their yards, but also give everyone a timely reason to start preparations for the much-anticipated return of the Douglas Garden Awards.”
Free green waste disposal is only available at Killaloe and Newell Beach Transfer Stations.
Killaloe Transfer Station is open Monday to Saturday from 8am to 5.30pm and on Sundays from 9am to 5.30pm.
Newell Beach Transfer Station is open on Mondays, Fridays and Saturdays from 8am-11:45am and on Wednesdays from 1pm-4:45pm.
Council is also ramping up calls for 2019 Douglas Garden Awards sponsorship to grow the competitive spirit for the popular gardening awards.
“The previous awards had fantastic support from a range of local businesses who really enjoyed putting their brand behind this event,” Mayor Leu said.
“We would love to get as many local businesses involved to grow this year’s Douglas Garden Awards fixture into something truly special.”
Entries will officially open on June 3, 2019 to ensure gardeners have sufficient time to prepare their lush gardens, with judging to start at July 30, 2019.
There are eight categories including:
- Residential Garden
- Acreage Garden
- Edible Garden
- Sustainable / Environmental
- Professional Gardener – Residential / Other
- Childcare centre
- Landcare / Farm
ABC’s Gardening Australia host Costa Georgiadis will return for two days to judge local gardens and rub shoulders with Douglas Shire residents.
Please contact Council’s Event Officer Paul Smyth at Paul.Smyth@douglas.qld.gov.au if you’re interesting in sponsoring the event.
- Entries Open – Monday June 3, 2019
- Entries Close – Friday July 12, 2019
- Finalist Judging – Wednesday July 31, 2019
- Finalist Judging– Thursday August 1, 2019
Free green waste disposal
Take the opportunity to clean up your yard and drop off your domestic green waste for FREE at Council’s Transfer Stations from Saturday 30th March – Sunday 7th April 2019.
- This offer is for domestic cars, utes and/or trailers and light trucks (vehicle weight to GVM 4 tonnes); and
- If residents require assistance from a garden maintenance contractor to deliver green waste to the Transfer Station on their behalf they must make a request and provide information (date, time of delivery) for approval. This can be done by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling Council on 4099 9444 and requesting to speak with Resource Management.
NOTE: Normal charges apply for disposal of any other waste. For enquiries regarding electric or crazy ant quarantine details please contact Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry (DAFF) on 13 25 23. Remember illegal dumping can incur a fine; it affects the environment and the safety of individuals. Please report any illegal dumping to 07 4099 9444.